The Education Working Group (EWG) of the Canadian Lymphedema Framework (CLF) supports the CLF by promoting the education of patients and healthcare professionals interested in lymphedema and its treatment.
The Education Working Group’s goals:
- Developing or endorsing Bilingual Best Practice guidelines and developing strategy for its dissemination
- Defining a common body of knowledge, geared to Canada/Canadians
- Defining standards for lymphedema education
- Defining standards of instructor education for lymphedema therapy programs
- Developing a Patient education strategy
- Promoting the education of physicians regarding best practices in treating lymphedema
The targeted audience:
- Occupational therapists
- Registered Massage Therapists
- Radiation Oncologists
- University faculty and schools
- Lymphedema Therapy schools
- Garment Fitters
Accomplishments to date:
- Analysis of lymphedema education needs for various health care professionals.
- Material produced for the CLF website: patient education and general health care professional education.
- Pamphlet material produced for patient education for the provincial lymphedema support groups.
- Data bank of slides for power point presentations about lymphedema: for patient education, for the nursing profession, and general health care practitioners.
- Creation of a Consensus Statement with recommended guidelines for Professional Educational Standards for training of Lymphedema Therapists.
- Speakers Bureau established
- Maintains an ongoing review of educational materials for patients, therapists, general health care practitioners: including, but not limited to best practice documents, books, videos and video links
- Sandra MacDonald, NS (Co-chair)
- Anna Towers, QC
- Pamela Hodgson, QC
- Casi Shay, QC
- Michel Eid, QC
- Natasha Grant, QC
- Pam Hammond, ON
- John Mulligan, ON
- Wendy Leroux, MB
- Ian Soles, AB
- Robert Harris, BC
- Sonja Redden, BC
- Linda (Koby) Blanchfield, BC (Co-chair)